Goal for cooking: Provide at least one nutritional, home cooked meal for my family a day with the focus being on family not the food.
|Cooking is fun, especially when shared with friends.|
|"Thank You for limiting meat!"|
- Use frugal food tips, you can find them here.
- Bake (at a maximum once a week) snacks, breakfast foods, breads.
- Limit convenience foods—they are not a frugal purchase and usually not nutritionally sound
- Limiting frequency of cooked meals; related to family not always home at the same time, all can cook and fix their own meals and quick alternatives are available i.e. fruit, baked goods.
- Keep foods simple; eat raw vegetables and fruits, limit condiments and time consuming recipes
- use a Crock Pot.
- Limit meat purchases, which are expensive and time consuming to cook.
- Have my family spend time cooking with me, if they are available.
- Prepare mixes for pancakes, cakes, muffins in advance. Just add liquids to mix and cook.
- Plan out a menu with family on a weekly basis to decide which meals to cook, coordinate schedules and decide when to shop together for foods.
- Plant a family garden. (Ours will be planted at the end of May beginning of June because of weather. )
- When a large fancy meal is desired, make it a family affair and invite guests.
- Try once a month cooking. Cook all meals for the month in one day and freeze.
|Grandma's cooking, the best!|