Friday, October 14, 2011

Frugal Friday

I recently found a few Crab Apple Trees on the trails I hike. At my request my son went foraging for me and brought home a backpack full of apples. I already have a lot of dried apples from my own tree. I don't make apple pies (too much work) so what do I do with all the apples? Make apple bread!

Foraged Crab Apples.
Homemade bread is a frugal alterantive to store bought bread. The apple bread I made was inexpensive for several reasons, the apples were free because they were foraged, the flour and sugar were on sale for less than half the normal price and the eggs came from my own chickens.

Farm fresh eggs, straight out of the chicken, into the carton.
1/2 price flour with other ingredients for bread. 
 I used a recipe I found from allrecipes.com.

Apple Bread Recipe

3 cup All-Purpose flour
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 cups apples-peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl, place oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and apples. Stir into flour mixture. Add walnuts and mix. Divide mixture between two greased 8" x 4" bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before removing from pan.

Egg mixture. 
Egg mix with apples and cinnamon applesauce. 
I made a few adjustments to my bread. I didn't use walnuts and I added 2/3 cup of cinnamon applesauce, decreasing the amount of cinnamon I used from the recipe, because the mixture wouldn't come together well due to it being so dry.

Finished apple bread. 

I made several loaves; wrapped them and put them into the freezer. Hope you enjoy this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...