My list of reasons I grow our family's food are;
- My love of nature. I enjoy watching nature grow and produce.
- The feeling of accomplishment and pride from growing food.
- Saving money on groceries.
- Relaxation. I feel like I'm in another world when I garden, freeing my mind of everyday life situations.
- Knowing the food I cook and place on the table is free of pesticides and contamination of food-borne illnesses.
- Sharing what I've grown with friends, extended family and the homeless shelter.
- Knowing if a wide spread disaster occurred, I have a little knowledge which could keep us fed during it.
- I get to try new food items I've never eaten before, without spending a lot of money.
- After the growing season the plants become compost for my soil. Providing me with rich dirt, better in appearance and good for next season's plants.
- I grow food my animals like to eat too: lettuce cabbage, tomatoes, squash etc. Helps save on pet food bills.
- Gift giving. I can some of my fruit and use for Christmas gifts.
- I like the way my canned goods look on my pantry and cabinet shelves. Edible home decor!
- I get exercise when I garden. Pulling weeds, pushing a wheel barrel full of dirt or compost all add up to calories burned.
- The food is always fresh.
- I also use home grown food for trade for other garden items from friends I didn't grow.
- And of course just for the sheer beauty of it.
What are some of the reasons you garden?