I have started listing the frugal tips I use by related topics. The first being kitchen frugal tips. I want to encourage readers to leave comments about the tips and share any other tips you may use. Hopefully we can all benefit from them.
Tips for the kitchen:
- Wash out and reuse freezer and sandwich bags which have not been used for meat.
- Wash and reuse tinfoil which has not been used for meat.
- Wash dishes by hand and allow to air dry.
- Use 1 teaspoon of dish soap per load of dishes.
- Rinse dishes in cold water in dish pan.
- Use dishwater to mop floors after washing dishes if water is not too dirty or greasy.
- Bake from scratch, bread, muffins and cakes.
- Turn off oven the last few minutes when baking an item. The heat in the oven will slowly decrease as it finishes baking the items.
- When cooking food by boiling, turn off gas or electric once water is boiling. Food will cook in the hot water. The continuous boiling doesn’t cook the food but the heat in the water will.
- Reuse animal food bags like dog and chicken food for garbage bags.
- Reuse grocery bags to pick up dog waste.
- Reuse tea bags 2-3 times.
- Use jar lids as tea bag holders.
- Reuse butter tubs for left over food.
- Reuse paper grocery bags to wrap packages to mail; use to place cookies on to cool or soak up grease from meat.
- Use cereal box liners for sandwich bags.
- Use old towels for cleaning rags.
- Use water from boiling spaghetti and potatoes for plants.
- Use cloth napkins, made from clearance material.
- If you use a dishwasher only run when filled and allow dishes to air dry.
- Don't use disposable dishes or utensils.
- Keep only kitchen utensils, cookware and dishes which you will use.
- When running water until hot, use a pitcher to catch the colder water until hot, to reuse elsewhere.
Please join me next Friday for the frugal food tips I use.