Friday, January 7, 2011

Frugal Tips-Kitchen

I started out years ago trying to be frugal by using coupons, generics and reusing items. I made being frugal a game to see how much money I could save. Over time, to help save even more money, I used tips from numerous blogs, articles and books, which I had read on frugal living. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.

I have started listing the frugal tips I use by related topics. The first being kitchen frugal tips.  I want to encourage readers to leave comments about the tips and share any other tips you may use. Hopefully we can all benefit from them.

Tips for the kitchen:

  • Wash out and reuse freezer and sandwich bags which have not been used for meat.
  • Wash and reuse tinfoil which has not been used for meat.
  • Wash dishes by hand and allow to air dry.
  • Use 1 teaspoon of dish soap per load of dishes.
  • Rinse dishes in cold water in dish pan.
  • Use dishwater to mop floors after washing dishes if water is not too dirty or greasy.
  • Bake from scratch, bread, muffins and cakes.
  • Turn off oven the last few minutes when baking an item. The heat in the oven will slowly decrease as it finishes baking the items.
  • When cooking food by boiling, turn off gas or electric once water is boiling. Food will cook in the hot water. The continuous boiling doesn’t cook the food but the heat in the water will.
  • Reuse animal food bags like dog and chicken food for garbage bags.
  • Reuse grocery bags to pick up dog waste.
  • Reuse tea bags 2-3 times.
  • Use jar lids as tea bag holders.
  • Reuse butter tubs for left over food.
  • Reuse paper grocery bags to wrap packages to mail; use to place cookies on to cool or soak up grease from meat.
  • Use cereal box liners for sandwich bags.
  • Use old towels for cleaning rags.
  • Use water from boiling spaghetti and potatoes for plants.
  • Use cloth napkins, made from clearance material.
  • If you use a dishwasher only run when filled and allow dishes to air dry.
  • Don't use disposable dishes or utensils.
  • Keep only kitchen utensils, cookware and dishes which you will use. 
  • When running water until hot, use a pitcher to catch the colder water until hot, to reuse elsewhere. 
Please join me next Friday for the frugal food tips I use. 


  

2 comments:

  1. Great tips. I'm quite the frugal homemaker myself.

    Just simply reusing in and of itself is a huge money saver. Rags instead of paper towel, hand me downs instead of shopping for new cloths just too name a few.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tips are so true. Thanks for leaving them in your comment. Julia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...