Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Friendships

 I recently joined a women's mentoring program at the church I attend. It is a six month program which was developed to assist in meeting the needs of women in our church. It helps with growth in our spiritual walk with the Lord and female friendships. It requires members to be accountable to meet with their mentor/menttee on a regular basis, to participate in an activity which supports spiritual growth and to pray for one another.

The recent session began on a Saturday morning with an informational breakfast. Upon arrival the coordinators took our picture and provided us with a card to fill out with our name, contact information and what we were looking for in the mentoring relationship. I wrote my personal information and shared I was looking for growth in the Lord and a strong Christian mentor to learn from. I turned my card in, no qualms. 

Then realization set in, I was making a six month commitment of time, energy and vulnerability. Fears began welling up inside me. I felt I didn't take time to pray about the decision to join and it may not be the Lord's will for my life. I thought what if I stick my foot in my mouth, as I so often do, and offend or insult my matched mentor. But, the biggest fear of all was being vulnerable to another human being.  

Being vulnerable is not one of my best character traits. The fear of rejection is so strong in me. It is so much easier to be quiet, make small talk and not let myself be known. I have opened up at times to a small degree, but I knew the bar was going to be raised during this six month period. The Lord wants me to learn vulnerability to Him and to others. 

Trust-Not Fear
Through vulnerability I believe God will teach me about trust. God desires for all to trust in Him. Psalm 33:4 NKJV tells us,  "For the work of the Lord is right, And all His work is done in truth." God is truth and He is righteous. He will not lie to us or lead us down the wrong path. Even when I feel alone and far away from God, I can open His word and find Him. He promises in Hebrews 13:5,  He will never leave us. Having been hurt in the past, makes it hard to trust and believe in others. I put up guards to keep God and others at bay because of my past experiences. God has an answer for my self-made protection and worldly thoughts. In Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV God tells us, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding: In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths."

Marriage-Ultimate Mentoring Relationship

 The second thing I believe God wants me to learn about; is Him, His word, and how to live. I can learn about God by going to church services, reading His word and interacting with others.  Proverbs 27:17 NKJV. "As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."  When you have a one-on-one relationship in mentoring, you become vulnerable and accountable to another. You learn from each other's knowledge and experiences. It wasn't an easy decision to be vulnerable to others, so I have chosen to trust God to make me and my mentoring relationship all He wants it to be.

Spot meeting Prince's  need
Lastly, in my mentoring relationship I believe God is going to allow me to learn to accept support and offer support. I always had the attitude I could take care of myself. I didn't need anyone's help. My attitude has definitely changed due to my fractured knee and being limited in what I can do. My mentor has seen my limitations and provides support by offering to help. Today she met a need by making me a cup of tea and bringing donuts to satisfy my sweet tooth. She was a perfect example of Galatians 6:2 NKJV,  "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." I personally have found that not only does it feel good for me to receive help but also to help others.

It has only been a month since I started my new mentoring friendship and I have so much to look forward to, as we both grow together in our faith. I know it will not always be easy, but my desire to know my Savior and Lord Jesus Christ, far outweighs my fear of vulnerability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...